Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Maybe I can't do it ALL...

It is truly amazing how our past shapes who we are today and the decisions we make:) At some point in my life I decided that everything I do would have to be done at 300%. Work, school, family, friends, training, etc. I truly want to put my full heart into everything I do. No point in doing it if I don't try my best, right?!? I also decided at some point, that I could do everything on my own. I don't want to bother anyone with my problems... I mean they have their own lives to deal with... right?!?

Well, one of my coaches last night pointed out that burning the candle at both ends is not going to be beneficial for any party involved! Working and training so hard were catching up with me and she noticed something wasn't right after seeing me for 5 minutes. I hadn't even been honest with myself that it was taking a toll on me but thankfully she was able to pick up on it and talked to me about it. WOW! She helped me realize that if I continue going like this I might not be able to finish Ironman. That really upset me because I have been working so hard for so long!

This weekend I opened myself up to the possibility of sharing my vulnerabilities with my friends and family. It turns out that sharing the "human" side with everyone will make life so much more manageable for me, and I will be so much more approachable to those loved ones in my life.

So this morning at our lululemon staff meeting I opened up to my team about how I was feeling about everything. This was one of the scariest things I have done in a while. I put it all out there! With all that emotion, of course, there will be tears. I wasn't looking for a solution or consoling. I just wanted them to know what was coming up for me. To be totally honest, I hated burdening my team with my worries. I wanted to just "figure it out" but I did make a promise to do one thing a day that scared me. Done and done!

They were, of course, super supportive (just like the ta-ta tamer:) and understanding. Creating balance in my life is something that is always at the forefront and will continue to be! Thank God I have amazing friends that help me keep it in check!

No comments:

Post a Comment