Sunday, June 20, 2010

Let's Get This Party Started:)

I am lucky enough to be surrounded by amazing people that inspire the crap out of me everyday!!!! One of my friends posted her blog so I decided to check it out! Her blog today was about her adventures kayaking down the Chicago River. I was immediately inspired and started researching kayak tours downtown! I mean... a kayak tour around the city... how fun:) I have never kayaked in my life but thought it sounded like a wonderful way to spend time with a great friend and sweat at the same time! (I love sweating with friends:)

I looked into it... rounded up a good friend to accompany me on the journey... and began the schedule the tour!

Then I realized how powerful this blog was to me! It inspired me to step out of my comfort zone and try something new! Something scary!!!!...which got me thinking...

I grew up being scared of the "normal" things little girls are scared of... spiders, the dark (etc.). I also spent my childhood (and some of my adulthood) being scared of trying new things, going new places, and existing outside of my comfort zone. It was easier for me not to try, than to try and fail! I was comfortable that way and thought things were working out "OK"!

A few years ago I walked into my first lululemon athletica store in the Oakbrook Mall! They had just opened and were giving out posters of the company's manifesto! I got home and was taken aback by the profound quotes on this poster! Some examples are..."Friends are more important than money" "Breathe deeply and appreciate the moment: Living in the moment could be the meaning of life" and "Life is full of setbacks. Success is determined by how you handle setbacks" just to name a few. The one that stuck out most to me ..."Do one thing a day that scares you." I hung this poster on my refrigerator and look at it everyday as a reminder to live outside of my comfort zone and be present!!!

There were numerous times over the next few years that I would hear that quote in my head when faced with a difficult decision. After trying the "scary" way a few times and living to tell about it I realized that it wasn't so bad and actually made for some amazing memories! I was stronger and was meeting some pretty amazing people and doing some pretty amazing things! I thought everything was working out "OK" before but I had no idea how much more amazing life could be by really learning to live in the moment!

So what am I doing today that scares me???? I am starting a blog for a month documenting all of the things I do that scare me!!!!

The scariest part of this is that I have no clue where this will go or if I will even have anything thing to say all month! I know some days will have posts that are scarier than others! I even tried to plan out how many times I would post this month.... all 30 days? 15 days? 10 days? Still not sure and as a super-planner that is scary for me:)

I will totally keep you posted!!! he he he;)

No comments:

Post a Comment